Palliative Care Voices in the media
Here we will post a selection of media relating to the Palliative Care Voices network and members. Omitted from this page are the Palliative Care Talks episodes which can be found on their dedicated page.
Dr Tedros Video for Lancet Report Launch
Dr Tedros appeared in this video to signify the launch of the Lancet Commission Report: Alleviating the Access Abyss in Palliative Care and Pain Relief, mentioning meeting Palliative Care Voices founder Lucy Watts, MBE.
Huyaam Samuels appears in The Why Factor episode on Pain
Palliative Care Voices member and passionate palliative care advocate, Huyaam Samuels, appeared in a BBC World Service piece, an episode of The Why Factor on living with pain.
Two clips from Huyaam’s interview can be viewed separately:
Direct stakeholders’ words heard at the World Health Organization Executive Board meeting
The voices of two Palliative Care Voices members, Lucy Watts, MBE, and Huyaam Samuels, were heard at the WHO Executive Board meeting in 2018. Their words had a tremendous impact on those at the meeting.
Following the session during which Lucy’s words were read, Dr Tedros, Director-General of the WHO, requested his details be passed onto Lucy so that they could speak, which took place a week later, in which Dr Tedros requested Lucy meet with him when he was next in the UK, which took place on 23 February 2018.
Dr Stephen Connor, Executive Director of the Worldwide Hospice Palliative Care Alliance, read out Lucy’s words.
Lucy Watts MBE’s meeting with Dr Tedros, Director-General of the World Health Organization
On 23rd February 2018 Lucy met with Dr Tedros in London. Although their conversation was fairly brief, Dr Tedros had undoubtedly done his research as all the points Lucy wanted to make, he was already understanding of the issues and points raised, he listened to what Lucy had to say and both vowed to work together in future wherever Lucy could be of assistance to Tedros and vice versa.
Lucy’s vlog of her day including meeting with Dr Tedros:
Lucy Watts MBE’s Video – Is Palliative Care a Human Right?
Lucy Watts, MBE, on Palliative Care and Universal Health Coverage 2018
Lucy Watts, MBE, on Palliative Care and Universal Health Coverage 2017
Leanne Thompson – Rare Disease Day 2018
Palliative Care Voices member Leanne Thompson made this video for Rare Disease Day.
Articles in the press
- Direct stakeholders demand palliative care as WHO chief calls for Universal Health Coverage
- On World Health Day meet the young women demanding quality healthcare for everyone, everywhere
- Huyaam Samuels: World Health Organization Executive Board must measure what matters and involve direct stakeholders in healthcare policy decisions
- Strengthening the voice of direct palliative care stakeholders: WHPCA launches a call for grant applications
- Lucy’s personal story of palliative care impacts the leader of the World Health Organization
- Huyaam Samuels: Patients, families and other direct stakeholders must be involved in palliative care advocacy
- International Children’s Palliative Care Network Conference Wrap-Up
- Huyaam Samuels: Compassion in action helps me to tackle university as a student with disability
- Palliative care – #BecauseIMatter!
- Women affected by serious illness call on decision makers to take a leading role to advance palliative care
- The UK government must lead implementation of universal health coverage including palliative care worldwide
- The voices of those affected by palliative care to be heard at the World Health Organization Executive Board meeting
- People directly affected bring advocacy to life at World Health Organization Executive Board meeting.
To interview a member of Palliative Care Voices please contact us and we will put you in touch.